Thursday, July 29, 2010

Last Days... :'(

July 28, 2010

This day is almost arriving to its end, as well as my period in Pilsen. Now I just have three more days here, and the coming back will take place early Sunday morning. I cannot understand how a whole month is almost getting to its end. Although at the beginning of this experience, I wanted so badly to come back, now is otherwise. I find myself fighting against time, dreaming that this few days take forever. I now love Pilsen, even if it is not as pretty as other cities in the world. Here I have learned many things that have made me not only a better musician but also a better person. I feel more mature. Now I really know what I want, and what should I do to get to it. I am much braver, as I have lost the fear to many things I used to have. I am not afraid to failures, as I know now that after falling you can always stand up again. I am not afraid to loneliness, as what is the best companion than yourself, music and God? I am not afraid to fight every day, as it is this the only way to reach your dreams. I am now not afraid to the future, as I am the one responsible of it. I have now grown much more (Sadly, this not includes my height). I have now discovered my true love: music. Therefore, I am now a much more complete person.

So, several things have happened in this half of my last week here. I finish taking classes with Professor Brejcha. After my last class (which was today), he told me what he thinks was the things that are going to help me the most. He said: “ Natalia, first of all I will like you to stop being shy. And I am not meaning in your personal life, but while playing the piano. I can see you are a truly musician as you are able to express your deepest feelings through music. However, you tend to be a little shy. So, you have to remember that music is a magical language in which you are able to express everything without words; and every human being has the right to express fully what he or she feels. We, musicians, have the greatest gift of all, which is expressing ourselves through art. We are happy of doing it. We are in love of music. So, we NEVER EVER be shy when playing. Once you are in the piano, you should always open your heart. (This thought I think was the most important, and it is an advice I will always carry with me) . Second, he said, just work on the thing I have told you (technical thing), and you will be ready. You are a great musician, keep working.” I must say it was a real pleasure taking classes with him, as he is not only a great musician and teacher, but also a great person. In my first two weeks, I learn to love music and piano more, and I thought then I already love it so much that it was not possible to love it more. Now I know that as further I go, my love towards piano and music keeps growing more.

As a summary of my classes with Dr. Silverman and Professor Brejcha, I will say that what I think was the most important (everything I will keep forever in my heart, but I think this two quotes pretty much take into account everything else):

Dr. Silverman: “You should always be an artist first, and pianist second.”

Professor Brejcha: “Do not EVER be shy in the piano.”

I must say I know that I still have a long path to walk in, but also that I am more than willing to follow it and fight against any difficulty that may appear along it.

Finally, my last days will not be really relaxed. Although I finish my classes with Brejcha, on Friday I will have one with Dr. Arthur Greene from University of Michigan, and I am really looking for it. So tomorrow, I will practice whole day and prepare to my last lesson here at IMAP. On Saturday, I will practice in the morning for my last time here at IMAP, the last recital will take place, the last dinner with my new friends will also take place, and also this is going to be packing day as my plane will depart on Sunday at 7:00 am. I promise to write at least one more time before the end of this experience, to tell you about how those days went, and also I would like to write a last blog as a thankful letter for all those who helped me live this experience back at home, and those here at IMAP who teach me how to be a better pianist and musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment